I have always liked the Ford trucks from the
late ’20s and early ’30s and have wanted to
make one of my own to use on an RC car. The
body is fairly simple, and after a quick sketch, I
could see that it would be a perfect choice for
this project. I started by making a buck that
was in the shape of the main cab section and
used sheet styrene to make the sides, front,
and back of the cab; I connected the sides to
the back cut-down section of styrene tubing.
The cowl and hood portions of the body are
curved, and each has a different-shape curve
to them. It was a bit of a challenge to figure
out how to make that curve happen with a flat
piece of plastic. After watching a show where
woodworkers were shaping wood by gluing
several thin pieces together and putting them
in a mold, I realized I could do the same by
laminating thin sheets of plastic over a form
until I had the thickness I needed. To create
the nose and grille, I designed the parts on my
computer and printed them using a Zeus 3D
printer. To allow for flush-fit windows, I glued
styrene strips around the window openings
so that the Lexan “glass” had an edge to sit
against. After a lot of sanding, shaping, body
filler, and primer, the cab was ready for paint.
I covered all my hard work in nine coats of
Tamiya TS- 92 Metallic Orange. To detail the
windows, I drilled holes in the frame area and
inserted push-ins that were cut to fit flush.
Axial fender flares and an RC4 WD light bar are
the finishing touches.
A mix of ready-made detail parts and
3D-printed custom pieces are installed on
the truck. Jerry cans are Jerry cans, so I went
with ones from Pro-Line instead of making my
own. To hold them, I designed my own mounts
and printed them. I made a trick roll cage out
of three pieces on my printer and glued them
together to make the final product. With a
few coats of paint, it looks just like steel tube.
Pro-Line fire extinguishers are mounted to
each side of the roll bar, and they do a nice
job of finishing it off. A Pro-Line fuel cell is
mounted on the wood in the center of the bed.
After getting the cab and bed mounted on the
chassis, I wanted something to fill the gap
between the bottom of the cab and chassis, so
I designed and 3D-printed a pair of side pipes.
I made them extra large for a diesel look and
applied a few coats of semigloss black to finish
them up. The bumper is also 3D-printed, and I
designed it to accept RC4WD’s Warn winch and
LED light bar.
Custom detail parts, fresh
off the 3D printer and ready
Here’s the start of
the cab. The sides,
back, and corners
were attached to
a buck and glued
I used my milling machine to shape the roof after stacking
layers of 0.08-inch-thick plastic together. I cut the roof to
match the shape of the cab after getting the angle of the
roof just right.
Here’s the hood after getting its layers of plastic attached
to the buck. Once dry, it was removed from the buck, cut to
shape, and attached to the body.
I designed the 3D-printed
front bumper to match
the cab and accept a
winch and LED light bar
from RC4 WD.