Once my Tamiya CC-01 Bug-bodied beast was finished, I headed outside for some quality time in the dirt. I drove the truck around at slow speeds at first and was very happy with its scale appearance.
The suspension soaked up the bumps well, and it was cool
seeing the tires tuck up in the wheel wells when driving over
them. I parked the truck up and nailed the throttle, and I
was happy to see that it had enough grunt to spin the tires
as it quickly got up to its 15mph top speed, which was faster
than what I was expecting. I took the truck over to my newly
finished rock-crawling area, where I have various surfaces
including small rocks, hills, and logs to test various trucks
that I review. The CC-01 bug had no problems getting up the
steepest inclines, thanks to the high-torque motor and the
grip of the RC4WD tires. Steering around some of the tight
areas that I have set up was not much of a problem for the
steering servo. However, on some of the rock sections, the
steering left me wanting more. Since this is a fairly light truck
and the servo isn’t going to be seeing a lot of stress, I took it
inside and removed the stock Tamiya servo saver and installed
an aluminum servo arm to eliminate any flex in the steering.
Back out on the rocks, the steering response was much better.
In the rocky section where I was driving, the front and rear
suspension did a great job of conforming to the smaller rocks
in the area. There was no flex at all, thanks to the Hot Racing
front suspension arms and JunFac rear suspension, and it
made my truck feel as if it had plenty of grip and control on
I’m very happy with my CC-01 bug body project, and am excited to
get more wheel time with it. It has an awesome look to it, and I left
some room for any upgrades that I might want to add later. This was
my first time driving a CC-01, and I have to say that it’s really fun.
When installing the stock 540 motor in the chassis, I was sure that a
motor swap was going to be happening later down the road. But now
that I have some time behind the wheel, I’m completely happy with
the torque and speed that the stock motor provides and won’t be
changing a thing. The next mod for this truck will be locked diffs so
that it can do a better job of making it around on the trails. ✇
One of the nice things about a Tamiya kit build is that Tamiya includes a motor
and electronic speed control. Since I’m just going to be bombing around the yard
with this truck, I don’t need a speed control and motor to get me high rpm or lots
of bottom-end torque. The stock Tamiya electronics are going to be just fine for
what I am doing. A nice thing about the Tamiya speed control is that it can be used
to run the stock brushed motor, but if you want to upgrade to brushless later, you
can still use the same speed control to run that brushless motor. There’s no low-voltage cutoff for LiPo use though, so I added a low-voltage alarm from RC4WD. For
plenty of steering power, I went with a Savox SW-1210SG. It comes in 222 oz.-in.
of torque, which is overkill for a truck like this, but too much beats too little. It’s also
waterproof, so if I happen to make my way into a puddle, I don’t have to worry about
Savox’s SW-1210SG servo puts out just over
222 oz.-in. of torque, which is more than
enough to do the job.